Become a Master Gardener Volunteer!
What is the Master Gardener Program?
Maine’s Master Gardener Program provides participants with at least 40 hours of in-depth training in the art and science of horticulture. Trainees receive current, research based information from Extension educators and industry experts.
In return, trained Master Gardeners volunteer their time and expertise in many ways for community programs and activities.
As part of a nationwide Cooperative Extension effort, Master Gardeners are recognized as well-trained practitioners who serve and beautify their communities. They are linked to a professional network of support through county, state and national Cooperative Extension offices.
What Volunteer Projects Do Master Gardeners Do?
A major statewide effort of the Master Gardener Program is the Maine Harvest for Hunger program. This is a “people helping people” program to assist in feeding the homeless and hungry in your own community. Through various projects, gardeners will grow a little extra and donate the produce to local soup kitchens and food banks that serve the homeless and hungry.
Other projects Master Gardeners might do include:
- teach school children about the environment and develop school gardening projects
- design and build barrier-free gardens for persons with disabilities
- develop demonstration gardens to test different plant varieties
- plan and conduct educational workshops
A Master Gardener Knows….
- how to turn leaves, grass, and kitchen scraps into garden gold compost
- how to amend soil and also benefit the environment
- the difference between beneficial insects and pests
- how to save big by growing their own vegetable and flower seedlings
- how to get the most out of Maine’s short growing season
- how important freshly grown food and beautiful surroundings are to everyone in communities
A Master Gardener …
- has a passion for green and growing things
- enjoys helping others learn how to grow their own food
- longs to create beauty in public areas as well as private surroundings
- wants to share an enthusiasm for gardening with friends, neighbors, and community.
A Master Gardener is…
A Master Gardener is…. YOU!